Notifications
Clear all

Would you do this? Pre-Written Letters for PhD's !!!

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
20.6 K Views
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Recently, I started seeing letters and applications that looked mighty familiar. Sure enough, they were versions of the same letters, the same packages essentially with changed information. Unbelievable. I found the source of those letters, and there's a website selling them specifically geared to PhD scientists. You can buy these for $15, or a whole pack of them for $35 or so. One of those websites that tries to compete with ScienceCareers.org is looking for some way to "monetize" their website and it's revolting.

This is the worst kind of cheating, not all that much different than buying a history essay for your undergraduate History of Europe 101 course.

Do people really DO this? Yes, they do, and I can attest to it. But why would someone risk being thrown out because he or she can't write a cover letter? I'm blown away by the risk/reward ratio here. What do you think? The only appeal I can see is for someone who doesn't speak English well, but do they know what they are risking?

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Hmm - agreed revolting.

But I guess I don't understand how they, the applicant, can get away with it, if it is a copy and paste letter.

The Basic rule of coverletter are that it is an individualized letter tailored specifically to the Job in question summing up very concisely, a convincing Story about the candidates individual experiences alignment to the Job in question.

The letter is also insight into a candidates writing and abiliy to self-express outside a resume, so I basically cannot understand how you can have a copy paste coverletter that will allow for a call for an interview (that's the Goal of the CV and Coverletter, to get an interview, both should tell a complementary Story).

So..i don't get how one can have a pre-written letter and get any form of return or Job outcome, i would imagine they would be weeded out anyways in a compreshensive interview process if that is even obtained.

DX

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

I think they might be preying on immigrant scientists, whose first language may not be English and who are always confused about the job process and how applications work. It's really a suspect practice, and totally a deal-killer if the reader feels it's a "canned" letter,

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Share: