Clear all

What About Headhunters? Part 3

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@coach_tomsbcglobal-net)
Topic starter  

Hello everyone!

I wanted to take the time to circle back and continue the discussion about headhunters, and what they mean to you as a job seeker.

In previous blogs, I made the following points about headhunters:

1) Headhunters really aren't the best place to focus the bulk of your efforts as a job seeker
2) An effective strategy is to manage your online presence so they can find you.

As previously promised, this time we will talk about actually working with and possibly developing a relationship with a recruiter, if you feel that is something you must do.

Here are the keys to building a successful relationship with an independent recruiter:

MANAGE YOUR EXPECTATIONS

Fairly simple.. you need to remember that recruiters don't work for you, they work for the companies that write their checks.  Don't expect immediate feedback, and be ready for long delays in the process.. BONUS INSIDER TIP -  Recruiters don't control anything.. in fact, they are at the mercy of the whims of the hiring manager. You might think you are the best fit, and you might be, but the hiring manager won't talk to you unless your recruiter brings 3 or 5 people just like you in to interview as well.

BE AVAILABLE

Another simple one – if you've asked a recruiter to represent you, makes sure you pick up your phone, send the resume, provide the references, in other words, pull your share of the load.  Which leads me to:

GO ON THE INTERVIEW 

Yes, some folks need to be told this. When a recruiter finds you something YOU SAID YOU WANTED, go to the interview, and do your best. Then call the recruiter and tell them what happened.

KNOW WHAT A GOOD OPPORTUNITY LOOKS LIKE

Should go without saying, but it doesn't.. be ready.. have an understanding of what a great opportunity looks like to you, that way you can pounce on it when it reveals itself. This is no time to have a deer in the headlights look, because he who hesitates is lost.
Next time, we will discuss how to not get blackballed by recruiters, hiring managers, and other people you need to stay friends with.
Until next time, I wish you all the best

Coach Tom

Share: