Notifications
Clear all

Webinar Question #1: How to network in industry when surrounded by academics?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

We are going to start posting the questions from the recent "Working In Industry" AAAS Webinar (there were hundreds of them that came in -- it was a big audience). My goal is not only to have the question answered by a broad range of our own Forum regulars, lurkers, and moderators, but to generate more participants here at the Forum. I think you will agree that the questions I have chosen are common concerns. I have chosen only those that had many, many versions of the same question. Here's the first one, please help us with the community answers!

"How does one network with people in industry when all we are surrounded with is academics?"

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

This is a good one to start with, because you can apply the same networking formula for just about anyone looking to work outside of academics. All of this is from my own experiences in the past few years as your described entrenched academic:

- Attend local networking events. Travel if necessary. (In short: physically go away from the academics and towards the industry!) Conferences are good, too. Just don't cling to your friends and the people you know!

- Seek out alumni. Find an administrator who can put you in touch with graduates from your lab/program/university. If your admins aren't helpful, find a mentor who can connect you, or at least point you to other well-connected people on campus. If your mentor isn't helpful, get another mentor. (Not as in switching labs, but approach someone else to be your career mentor -- I was surprised at how many professors enjoy doing just this.)

- Get involved. Leadership positions in any local science-oriented group will expose you to members and other group leaders in the area, some of whom are bound to be connected. Start a group for people just like you, and use it as an excuse to network in industry.

- Help others. Networking is both asking for help and helping other people. Everyone has something to offer. If you think you have nothing to contribute, you must change this attitude ASAP -- it's like poison for your career goals.

- Make time. I'm convinced the secrets to success are pretty simple: 1) be the best you can be at your job, 2) always be willing to help others, 3) actively seek out opportunity. To some that last bit may translate at "forcing myself to network." I'm not sure how to best get around that psychological block, but I sort of think of networking like exercise. Sure I'd rather be home watching TV and eating out of a tub of ice cream, but networking has many advantages that can help me in the long term, so I get up and go.

Great stuff, Dave. I actually called you out by name in the Webinar as an example of a person doing it right.

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dick Woodward
(@dick-woodward)
Member Registered

You ignore the salespeople at your peril. They - and especially the more senior ones - know how the company operates and can help you make the connections that you need to make. In my case, my company had just been bought by a much larger company. I knew that I was being considered for a move from the lab to the marketing department of the acquirer, but it wasn't until I had a conversation with a sales manager that I learned what I had to do to be seriously considered for the position (which I received).

I would also suggest that for some of you, starting in the sales department is the lowest barrier to entry in making the transition to industry. Check out the article in the tooling up series called "His Mother Cried When He Went Into Sales."

Good luck:

Dick

ReplyQuote
Share: