Notifications
Clear all

Sudden Changes and Dropped Research -- Industry only?

1 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
10.1 K Views
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

One of the comments I hear often at postdoc and grad student gatherings is that "In industry, you can lose your project and have to start in some other area of research on a moment's notice." It's repeated enough that it appears to me to be one of the major concerns that scientists have about a non-academic career in science. Yes, it's true that a Board of Directors might say "Let's lose the XYZ project, because it's not going anywhere" or "It's too small of a market and it just doesn't make sense any longer."

And when that happens, you have to shift focus. But a recent article in ScienceCareers.org by Andy Tay shows that it can happen as well in academia. It's an interesting short read.

I'd love to hear views on this topic and what it says about the trust and faith that you place in your advisor or PI to continue funding that direction you are on . . . Read further,

http://science.sciencemag.org/content/352/6292/1486?utm_source=sciencemagazine&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=6292issue-5079

Dave Jensen Moderator

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Share: