Sticking up for Science

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
12.3 K Views
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

I was at a party the other night where someone asked me what I do and we got into a discussion about science. Science has to be defended at times. I was surrounded by people giving me examples of "junk" science (where there is no basis in fact) . . . Some of them considered science about vaccinations, or genetic engineering of plants, to be in the same category. I tried my best, but I'd love to hear how others manage these discussions when they come up.

How do you stand up for science, when the entire field gets labeled (as in vaccinations causing autism)? I even heard some new ones . . . here's an example:

"Scientists say that there is a chemical on the paper cash register receipts you get at the supermarket or anywhere else, and that handling these receipts can make you fat. What's the deal with that?" To the questioner, because I work in "science" I'm supposed to know all there is to know about obesogens and whether or not that science is wacky or real.

How do YOU stick up for science?

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

At the heart of this issue is public perception of science. The average layperson learns about the scientific enterprise through mass media, not by examination of primary sources, and is thus reliant on secondhand accounts written by journalists who are more often than not less than a step away from being laypersons themselves. Until the scientific community develops a robust method of communicating their findings to the public that circumvents the sensationalist mass media, I'm afraid we will have a need to 'defend' science ad infinitum. This begs the question as to whether the 'defense' of science is a worthwhile endeavor so long as status quo is maintained.

Good views, but from 30000 feet. The personal, "in your face" defense of science is what I faced.

Convert what your thoughts are to action steps for an individual . . . I would appreciate that.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
 PG
(@per-grufmancepheid-se)
Estimable Member

sometimes but but not always I find that it helps to look at current issues. Some people tend to look at historical scientific advances as something that isnt in any way related to modern science. The usefulness and connection between antibiotics and science isnt obvious to everyone while most people today would agree that finding a cure for ebola would be a good thing.

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Don't get trapped into defending positions that you are not knowledgeable in just because its science. I know no more than a layman about connections between vaccinations and autism, so I don't offer an opinion and I certainly won't get into an argument. But I pity the fool that tries to argue with me about perpetual motion, evolution, or pharmaceutical development. Pick your battles carefully and consider that more often than not, its better to let a fool believe than it is to make an enemy by defeating him in a public argument.

Great advice Andrew. When the smoke cleared, I had entered the fray only on the "biotech plants" topic, as I know it well. When the topic of "Obesogens" entered the picture . . . I could not participate.

By the way, if anyone knows anything about that science where "grocery store receipts make you fat," I'd love to hear from you by in-mail.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Agree with what most have said, key importance is know when to engage or not. I was at a US Airport once, returning from a Business trip. A fellow passenger noted my company branded computer bag and inquired if I worked there (thinking this person wanted to strike up a conversation or was a fellow employee or what have you).

Immediately the person started in with the Voodoo science and allegations in a very loud voice, as if to make a Show. I gently excused myself, stated that I was not working and was looking Forward to a restful journey to join my family and bidded them a good flight.

Point is you will have alot of Closed-minded vocal folk, where its just a waste of time and energy.

But, if you find the open minded person, and you're able to talk intelligently on the subject matter, then by all means go for it; but don't fall into the trap of being arrogant, self-asserting, and a know it all. Have an open discussion, acknowledge the gaps in your understanding too.

I also learned, not to travel with Company branded bags or apparel for that matter.

Regarding the orginal comment on obese inducing compounds...hm..think we have other more important compounds to worry about or rather....dosage of such compounds, namely high Fructose corn syrup, fats from the cheesification of the US and an industry that likes to position a 2,000 calories meal as a Snack or "first course".

hmm..maybe i'm on the offensive now?

ReplyQuote
Share: