How diverse are companies, really . . .

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
21.4 K Views
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

I'm curious as to how diverse companies really are who employ scientists. I can tell you that indeed they try to fill positions with a range of diverse candidates, because I've been on the receiving side of their requests and HR is serious when they say that they want their providers to help with that matter.

But again, sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot. Here's an example of a major employer completely sabotaging their message with text/photos that don't align as they should.

Here you have them talking about women in innovation, and yet the photo they show is of an older caucasian male with a quote about women.

They talk about their Middle Eastern heritage employees and how valuable they are, but the person shown talking about it is of Scandinavian heritage.

They talk about their African American network of employees, with a photo and comment by an older, once again Caucasian guy, talking about how valuable diversity is.

What's up? Are companies like this REALLY interested in diversity? See the link at,

http://www.dow.com/en-us/careers/working-at-dow/diversity-and-inclusion#

Dave Jensen, Moderator

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Yes, WG, I agree. I think they shot themselves in the foot with this web page. What a mistake. The impressions that it leaves you with is that this company is NOT a diverse organization.

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Depends on Company - in genernal you find more diversity at lower ranking Levels, or at individual contributor, with decreasing diversity as you move up the ranks. I feel this is changing fairly rapidly in the US and US base companies - still have a Long way to go.

With some more internationally originating companies, for example be it a European pharma of Swiss, French or Danish origins as call out examples will much less diverse - some related to culture but i mainly find it a function of languate Relations and ease of communication when the originating language is the key operating language - good example are German R^D in Mannheim, German language is a competitive Advantage and well, majority of German Speakers are German but that is changing. Same applies for Asian companies, a former Company of mine was acquired by a Japanese Company..well sure diversity in the US, UK in upper mangement but go to the upper upper executive board well...not so much and R&D if based in Japan, well what do you expect? Not that ist a bad Thing, it just the way it is.

Not to get on the Soap box but if you want talk diversity, look to the US as a beacon on the hill for all to look at, yes one can complain or question diverstity..but come accross the Pond and go into them Swiss, Danish, German, French ones.....no where near the US. You'll appreciate the diveristy you'll see in US companies more once you see this side of the Pond. Remember Europe is still provincial (this is not a bash, ist can be a good Thing at times) so you still have deep cultural roots here and it manifests in the demographics of management..not so much US in my opinion, diversity is part of culture there, its evolving here.

Best,

Dx

ReplyQuote
Share: