Current Talent Shortage

19 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
61.7 K Views
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Thanks folks for the additional comments. It's just bizarre how different the views of the "real world" are to different people. Those who are "looking" have one impression . . . those in jobs have another. It's something that would make me smile if it weren't such a deadly serious topic of discussion.

Putting those without an industry track-record and an employer together is my goal -- not my business goal, as that's totally different . . . just the goal of my passion in this area. I see some merit in this idea, but any kind of internship would work. If it's not a short consultancy to get a "glimpse" of a person, perhaps it's a combined PhD program as they do in Denmark, where you can have both academic and industry advisors on your project, and the company gets some knowledge of you along the way. I'd like to start a 501C3 based on some idea of this sort, and fund it with the support of companies and non-profits who care about getting the academia-to-industry transition smoother and more beneficial to society here in North America.

As always with ideas like these, they won't apply to those who see things in a negative light or who make assumptions about this being "cheap." But, it could certainly be beneficial to the hundreds/thousands of those who are presently being trained with great science, but who have no concept whatsoever of how to build a marketable background for industry. There needs to be some kind of gatekeeping process, whereby you focus on those who have a great mind that can benefit a business. I know they are out there -- I meet them all the time when I give talks and so on.

Let's keep the ideas flowing and see what shape they might start to take. I'm not ashamed to invest in something that seems fresh and promising, and I'll keep the forum informed.

Dave Jensen, Moderator

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

I think such internship idea is hard for PhD Level students especially in the US where stipend generally Comes from the PIs grant.

I had a model like this in my undergradaute School - that's where it worked. My undergrad advisor ensured that all of the students in her program walked way with some form of internship experience - as for me I walked away from my undergrad with internships in the private sector (industry) and a foreign academic experience.

In General i think what is needed is those "test and try" contingency or Trainee programs that are for STEM graduates - of course it works with folk who are not naysayers and who are ready to take a leap, acknowledgement what ever personal risks or reservations they may have.

But, I have mentioned - low hangning fruit solution for academia is to provide Training to STEMs on soft-skills, presenations skills, etc. from professional organizations. There is a cost to this but I'm sure the Money can be found if an Institution is willing. Such traning will give pearls of wisdom and exposure to key competencies that can be applicable in both academic and non-academic environs, which I think one would be able to carry for a life-time. I didn't get my soft skils Training and presenations faciliation in grad School but i did get it in my first positions from there in industry - i still treasure that Training and that Investment in me - i still apply some of those concepts today and I drop back to what I learned there as my comfort Zone when I'm in a Situation (conflict Resolution, active-listening, negoations, presentation conduct etc.) as those were my first Trainings, it provided the foundation and my operational Basis which I build on. This helped me be the "Talent" that I am today.

About the only box I can't tick today from a Talent requirement Point of view is that new line on Job descriptions: Previous experience piloting Space Shuttles mandatory, previous experience Docking to ISS will be preferred.

All the best,

DX

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Really helpful post EKL, thank you so much,

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Steven,

We're not talking about the big "temp" revolution that first began a couple of decades ago. That's a permanent fixture now of employment in large companies -- and, from an insider perspective, I can tell you it isn't going anywhere. In fact, it may gain a bit of additional traction in the next year or two.

What we're talking about here is unique, and nothing similar.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: