Clear all

Career Resolutions for the New Year?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

Would anyone like to commit to a New Year's resolution that will help you get the career progress going that you'd been hoping for?

Can anyone commit to taking just 20% less time in front of the computer, away from company job application portals, and spend that time with actual human beings in a networking campaign?

What's YOUR New Year's resolution?

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

find a BS level scientist job somehow...

That's quite a bit like the New Year's Resolution where you say, "I'm finally going to lose some weight." That's a grand goal, but it has to have pieces in front of it -- a plan, a process.

I'd suggest you turn that "find a BS level scientist job somehow" into a four or five part resolution, that has elements of increasing your network, responding to X number of opportunities per month, going to these meetings, etc.

Good luck!

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
(@rlemertmindspring-com)
Trusted Member

my plan so far is:

- apply online (mostly browsing on linkedin and indeed)
- reaching out to scientists via cold email (not working too well thus far)
- reaching out to recruiters (hasn't gotten any good leads yet)
- attend networking sessions nearby (there are some upcoming in Houston this January)

I would make "apply online" and "reach out to recruiters" no more than 10% of your total effort. Online applications are generally a low-yield process, so you don't want to put too much effort into it. And recruiters (the kind that are worth working with) generally don't deal with entry-level people.

Networking events can be worthwhile, but make sure you go in prepared. Know who's going to be there and what you want from them.

Your best bet, though, is to combine your first two items. Use LinkedIn (and other resources) to identify people you want to talk to, then use the phone (not email - except as a quick note to alert them of your planned call) to talk to them. However, focus on "peer-plus-two", and remember that you're asking for information and not demanding a job.

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Totally agree with Rich . . . The plan you have there basically keeps you strapped to your computer. It's hard to find a job from a computer - really it is.

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
Topic starter  

Becoming a better leader by listening more and speaking less. Empowering members of my team by developing personal ownership over the work they conduct.

I love this one.

I'd like to adapt the same goal -- good job JAB.

"I'd like to be a better team member by listening more and speaking less. I'd like to empower the other members of my team by allowing them to take personal ownership of the ideas we generate together, instead of latching on to them as my own."

Dave

Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Share: