Thanks to everyone who attended my last webinar, I really appreciate all of you, and I hope we did some good together.
This time of year is a great time to reflect, and take stock. It's also a great time to keep your foot on the gas and keep up the job hunt. Conventional wisdom holds that no hiring gets done right now, and I am here to tell you that is bunk. Budgets are being made, needs are being projected, plans are being made, headcounts are being assessed, and hiring is being done.. at the very least, interviews are being scheduled.
Aside from wanting each of you to have the best possible holiday season and coming year, here is what else I want you to do:
If you are at the beginning of your job search:
- Take the time to think about what you have been doing, and what you want to do next.
- Take the time to think about and plan what you want to say about yourself
- Take the time to research who can hire you, and who, within those companies, you can talk to - hint, it's not the HR department.
If you have a solid plan in place and are working your plan:
- Don't stop..
- Keep making those phone calls, and sending those letters and emails
- Keep researching companies who can hire you.. use different industry search terms, look up different directories, etc.
If your job search is going nowhere
If you aren't getting any responses to your inquiries, it usually means one or both of the following is happening:
1) Your targeting is off, meaning you are calling into the wrong companies, or 2) you aren't communicating clearly about your background to the right people
At the Five O'Clock Club, we say, if your targeting is off, everything is off. Here is how to get back on track:
- Go back to the beginning – are you targeting the appropriate companies?
- Are you presenting yourself as someone who “fits” within that company?
- Are you targeting the right people within that company?
Finally, here is the most difficult question to ask ourselves, if our search is going nowhere:
Are you working hard enough to uncover the opportunities? Are you making enough calls?
Most people respond after 8-10 inquiries.. most people quit trying after 1 or 2 attempts. Now more than ever, job seekers have to hustle.. regardless of the time of year.
Until next time, I wish you all the best
Thomas Patrick Chuna is a certified Five O’Clock Club job search coach, teaching their proven methodolgy to private clients in all fields and disciplines. - I will teach you to apply the methodology to YOUR specific situation. Find me at linkedin.com/in/patrickinternational
Want FREE access to helpful job search tools? - Check out the Five O’clock Club ad on thebiocareers “Career Tools” page.
The Five O’Clock Club is a nationally recognized outplacement firm with a proven job search methodology that helps job seekers get better jobs faster.
The Five O’Clock Club also provides affordable, humane outplacement services to companies who care about the well being of their employees.
Learn more: http://www.fiveoclockclub.com